C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is word formation where a student needs to uses a root such as 'friend' and creates an appropriate word (friendly, befriend, friendship) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Word Formation Worksheet 9
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. Rabbits are often seen as ______________ figures at Easter, representing rebirth and springtime.
2. Harry should have checked the ______________ of the swimming pool before allowing his children in. There could have been an accident.
3. The rocks appear to be stationary but in the high winds that whip across this desert landscape, they are in reality moving ______________.
4. You may laugh Inspector, but it is not ______________ apparent to us why you should suspect anyone in this room of having carried out this murder.
5. So many asteroids finish their days by crashing into Jupiter due to its huge ______________ pull.
6. The criminal act of numerous factories dumping waste into the area's rivers has led to ______________ high ______________ levels.
7. Given the small ______________ of fire in this part of the building, one fire ______________ should suffice.
8. The final vote was 128 for, 173 against with 21 ______________. The government has been humiliated by this defeat.