C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is word formation where a student needs to uses a root such as 'friend' and creates an appropriate word (friendly, befriend, friendship) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Word Formation Worksheet 3 - Answer Sheet
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. The __SURVIVABILITY__ of any manned mission to the planets will be increased if a secure fuel supply can be found beforehand.
2. His behaviour in his father's presence caused his __DISINHERITANCE__ and his sister ended up __INHERITING__ the whole family fortune.
3. Most of the engine's problems are due to __DISUSE__. The car has been parked here for nearly a year.
4. You can't help but __DISBELIEVE__ the government when different ministers are giving out __CONTRADICTORY__ statements about policy.
5. As he took more and more drugs to counter the disease, he became __INCREASINGLY__ incoherent and confusing.
6. If you would only __ACKNOWLEDGE__ the role of your father in the success of your company, there wouldn't be so much bad blood between you.