C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Word Formation Worksheet 26
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. The job candidate's impressive ______________ made him a top contender for the position.
2. The professor took an overly ______________ approach to the issue which alienated some people.
3. The building was ______________ as a historic landmark by the city council which meant it would receive protection.
4. Her ______________ brightened the entire room, spreading positivity all around.
5. The speakerís argument, though ______________ compelling, failed to sway the sceptical audience.
6. The manager will ______________ the new company policies in the upcoming meeting.
7. Despite our attempts to rouse her, she remained ______________.
8. Maradona was often an ______________ player whose reading of the game defied understanding.