C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Word Formation Worksheet 25
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. The plane began its ______________ as it neared the airport.
2. The grant provided the necessary ______________ for further research in the field of renewable energy.
3. The top university's masters programme attracted ______________ from around the world.
4. Her ______________ complexion was a result of dedicated skincare.
5. The ______________ of the story brought the characters to life with their expressive voices.
6. The ______________ consequences of the hurricane reminded us of the power of nature.
7. The ______________ execution of the plan confirmed his reputation for perfectionism.
8. Penguins are incredibly ______________, exhibiting exceptional diligence and hard work in their daily hunt for food.