C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Word Formation Worksheet 24
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. The manager told the employees that the merger would bring about ______________ benefits and safeguard their jobs for years to come.
2. She ______________ participated in the charity run, boosting everyone's morale.
3. The product was cheap, plastic and ______________, hardly designed for consumers who were ecologically minded.
4. Their ______________ in managing their paltry supplies was a key to their survival.
5. The suspect's responses were ______________, not aligning with his previous statements.
6. The ______________ rate of glacier loss was a serious concern for environmentalists.
7. Barry's ______________ behaviour made it difficult for his colleagues to work with him.
8. The conference was filled with ______________ chatter that did little to address the pressing issues at hand.