C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Word Formation Worksheet 23
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. His ______________ to cooperate stalled the investigation and brought about a threat of charges.
2. The antagonist in the film is ______________ cruel, making the audience shudder at his very mention.
3. After a night of partying, she was ______________ groggy and irritable the next morning.
4. His survival was ______________ given the severity of his injuries.
5. Her interest in ______________ led her to explore themes of the subconscious in her paintings.
6. The ______________ played the composition with such passion that it brought tears to my eyes.
7. ______________, the heavy rain ceased just in time for the outdoor ceremony to commence.
8. The instructions were ______________ by the new employee, leading to a series of blunders.