C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Word Formation Worksheet 22
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. The reality did not live up to the high ______________ set by the advertisement.
2. Helen was considered an ______________ asset to the team and her resignation undoubtedly affected their performance.
3. With consistent efforts, the team's goal of winning the championship suddenly seemed ______________.
4. The vastness of the universe is ______________, filled with countless stars and galaxies.
5. The ______________ of the table was off, leading to an uneven surface.
6. The dinner was ______________ bad and not one of us left a tip.
7. The audience didn't react well to his speech which was ______________, repeating the same points over and over.
8. The soldier's resolve ______________ over time, making him a formidable opponent.