C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Word Formation Worksheet 21
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. Despite the pandemic, the ______________ success of the e-commerce industry reflects the adaptability of global business.
2. Remember to keep the fire ______________ handy in case of an emergency.
3. This painting can ______________ the Romantic period's aesthetic style, rich in emotion and individualism.
4. The ______________ difference in their positions were not sufficient to derail an agreement.
5. The ______________ president has announced that she will not be seeking re-election.
6. His skills are ______________ and he is certain to be chosen for the promotion.
7. The singer's rendition of the song was absolutely ______________ and moved the audience to tears.
8. His apologies felt ______________ rather than genuine, as if he was merely going through the motions.