C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Word Formation Worksheet 20
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. They ______________ positioned their forces to have the upper hand in the ensuing battle.
2. The company was strictly ______________ the performance of its employees.
3. Her ______________ approach to cooking often led to exciting culinary delights and sometimes to kitchen disasters!
4. Despite his natural talent for music, his ______________ to read sheet music held him back.
5. They were playing ______________ close to the edge of the cliff.
6. Her ______________ behaviour at the crime scene did not go unnoticed by the detective and he made a mental note to investigate her further.
7. David's ______________ to study every night helped him excel in the exams.
8. The president used his ______________ powers to pass the new law.