C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Word Formation Worksheet 19
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. She spoke with such ______________ and confidence that everyone in the room was impressed.
2. Nearly thirty dangerous ______________ managed to escape and police checkpoints were set up all over the city.
3. Her musical ______________ were highly regarded for their creativity and complexity.
4. The cause of the weather phenomenon remains ______________, puzzling scientists around the world.
5. The ______________ of the story lies in its powerful depiction of love and sacrifice.
6. It was such an ______________ train that there was hardly any space to stand.
7. The ______________ that he needed to change his lifestyle came to him after a health scare.
8. She watched ______________ as the wildfire approached her home little by little.