C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Word Formation Worksheet 18
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. They were completely ______________ for the sudden turn of events.
2. She nearly lost her ______________ on the slippery slope but continued her climb.
3. The meeting proceeded ______________, with all members finding common ground on the proposed plan.
4. The charity made every effort to ensure the ______________ of aid to those in need.
5. His infectious laughter ______________ the mood of everyone around him and he's well liked as a result.
6. During the height of summer, the day was ______________, causing everyone to seek shade and hydration.
7. The ______________ mother was readying the nursery for the arrival of her new baby.
8. The government's policy of trade ______________ was aimed at helping and supporting local industries.