C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Word Formation Worksheet 17
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. Her suffering was ______________, beyond what anyone should have to endure.
2. The ______________ surrounding the new legislation has led to widespread debate.
3. The ______________ phase of the drug involved rigorous testing and data analysis.
4. Despite the ______________ complex nature of the task, the young mathematician resolved it effortlessly.
5. His ______________ to change was commendable, demonstrating a mature attitude.
6. The ______________ of the waste was so high that it had to be handled with extreme caution.
7. The ______________ on the old silver locket was beautifully detailed.
8. He struggled ______________ against the strong currents of the river.