C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Word Formation Worksheet 16
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. Regular exercise is highly ______________ to both physical and mental health.
2. Jimi Hendrix was a very ______________ musician and even today his impact can be seen.
3. The sudden ______________ of the truth made her feel both relieved and perturbed.
4. He worked ______________ to dispel the untrue stories about him, but his reputation remained in tatters.
5. The novel by John Willis, known for briefer reads, is ______________ short, coming in at just over 120 pages.
6. Kate was ______________ by her parents to the event and they all sat together near the stage.
7. His ______________ gift, which she loved, showed how well he knew and appreciated her.
8. The performance was ______________ and got a five minute standing ovation.