C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is word formation where a student needs to uses a root such as 'friend' and creates an appropriate word (friendly, befriend, friendship) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Word Formation Worksheet 15
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. Many actors move into becoming ______________ for television after they finish their acting careers.
2. After getting a heart ______________ last November, Mike felt like a new man.
3. The ______________ rate of company failures is having a disastrous effect on unemployment.
4. Thanks to ______________ costs, everyone is expected to agree to a pay freeze for this year.
5. The dog found the cat in his bed and walked off feeling as though he'd been ______________.
6. Living in poverty and ______________, the family struggled to make ends meet.
7. The many dance movies of the 1980s, such as Dirty Dancing and Flashdance, helped to ______________ dancing.
8. After the book club was ______________, it became much more popular.