C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is word formation where a student needs to uses a root such as 'friend' and creates an appropriate word (friendly, befriend, friendship) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Word Formation Worksheet 14
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. Unless you ______________ your mistakes, you'll never succeed in making up for them.
2. I've made some ______________ decisions this year, but all in all, I've done well.
3. Though he didn't win the race, he finished a ______________ third.
4. The weather is so ______________ in the British Isles that it's difficult to know what to wear.
5. I don't doubt the ______________ of this new gadget, but we simply don't have the money to buy it.
6. The ______________ of Jeremy in this department has been a disaster. He'll need to be replaced.
7. The teacher was furious that Emma had again turned in ______________ work.
8. After his shocking ______________, Nigel managed to find a new job and get his finances back in order.