C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is word formation where a student needs to uses a root such as 'friend' and creates an appropriate word (friendly, befriend, friendship) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Word Formation Worksheet 12
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. The ______________ scenery of Suffolk was the inspiration for the painter John Constable.
2. When Edward VIII abdicated in 1936, his ______________ was his brother, George VI.
3. Margaret didn't understand the ______________ of the letter, thinking it a joke.
4. Your uncle seems a very ______________ man when it comes to talking about the sea.
5. My grandfather died owing money to a large number of ______________.
6. The Presidents incompetence during the recession only ______________ his party's resolve to get rid of him.
7. So ______________ was she that it was difficult to ever get really angry at her.
8. After climbing all day, we were rewarded with a ______________ view at the top.