C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is word formation where a student needs to uses a root such as 'friend' and creates an appropriate word (friendly, befriend, friendship) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Word Formation Worksheet 11 - Answer Sheet
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. Caffeine may improve __ALERTNESS__ in the short term, but it has other negative effects too.
2. Despite four cars crashing around him, Pete was lucky and his car emerged __UNAFFECTED__ from the other side of the accident.
3. We spent a fortune in the restaurant last night on their __EXECUTIVE__ menu. It was good, but not that good!
4. Matilda found it hard to overcome the powerful sense of __DISORIENTATION__ she felt on waking for the first time in the new house.
5. Children under 12 __ACCOMPANIED__ by an adult can enter for free.
6. It was a dour, __PASSIONLESS__ performance by the team in the final and they left town humiliated and without the trophy.
7. New managers can sometimes discipline employees __UNNECESSARILY__ in an attempt to appear tough.
8. Our local newspaper is often full of stories that are hardly __NEWSWORTHY__, but they need to fill the pages somehow.