C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is word formation where a student needs to uses a root such as 'friend' and creates an appropriate word (friendly, befriend, friendship) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Word Formation Worksheet 10
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. We decided to increase our advertising spend as we think that may be a very ______________ strategy.
2. I read an interesting book which spoke about how you can ______________ your brain's potential by taking an hour's siesta every day.
3. Steven has lived in Miami all his life so 15 degrees is ______________ cool for him.
4. The family intervened when they realised Harry was becoming a ______________ drinker.
5. The team coach pulled Jones off at halftime seeing as he was utterly failing to keep to his ______________ position.
6. I spent a hot, ______________ night due to the humidity and went to work exhausted.
7. It's become ______________ clear that you don't want to continue working here. You can collect your things and leave on Friday.
8. Be sure to check that you have all your ______________ with you before leaving the train.