C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is word formation where a student needs to uses a root such as 'friend' and creates an appropriate word (friendly, befriend, friendship) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Word Formation Worksheet 1
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. The survey showed many young offenders had had difficult ______________.
2. Despite the ______________ similarities between the two paintings, the court decided the artist was not guilty of making a ______________ copy.
3. You should dress ______________ for the party. No tuxedo required!
4. The stray dog spent his days following tourists hoping to ______________ one of them.
5. Severe ______________ problems in the country's prisons persuaded the government to invest more money in its prison ______________ programme.
6. The child's ______________ to hear his mother calling was blamed on a slight hearing ______________ which was eventually solved using a ______________ new technique from Norway.