C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is word formation where a student needs to uses a root such as 'friend' and creates an appropriate word (friendly, befriend, friendship) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Word Formation Worksheet 1 - Answer Sheet
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. The survey showed many young offenders had had difficult __UPBRINGINGS__.
2. Despite the __STRIKING__ similarities between the two paintings, the court decided the artist was not guilty of making a __FRAUDULENT__ copy.
3. You should dress __INFORMALLY__ for the party. No tuxedo required!
4. The stray dog spent his days following tourists hoping to __BEFRIEND__ one of them.
5. Severe __OVERCROWDING__ problems in the country's prisons persuaded the government to invest more money in its prison __(RE)BUILDING__ programme.
6. The child's __INABILITY__ to hear his mother calling was blamed on a slight hearing __DISABILITY__ which was eventually solved using a __REVOLUTIONARY__ new technique from Norway.