Past Tense Worksheet
You have to fill each space with either the past continuous, past perfect simple or past perfect continuous.
1. I was exhausted at the end of the exam. I HAD BEEN WRITING for over two hours.
2. When thieves stole my favourite leather jacket, I was really upset. I HAD HAD it for over ten years.
3. Please step out of the car, Mr. Jones. Do you realise you WERE DRIVING at over 90mph?
4. We didn't really want to go and see the musical again. We HAD ALREADY SEEN it twice - so we said "no" and we went to a restaurant instead!
5. I arrived over an hour late to the office and everyone WAS WORKING. Actually, they HAD BEEN WORKING for over two hours on the new project and I felt really guilty.
6. The kitchen was full of steam when we arrived. Joan was in the kitchen and she WAS COOKING a huge meal for everyone at the party.
7. It was a bit embarrassing to arrive at their house and find Mary looking so sad. I think she HAD BEEN CRYING before we got there.
8. No-one even noticed when I got home. They WERE ALL WATCHING the big game on TV and obviously the dog HAD BEEN BARKING for over an hour. I was furious.
9. Sue wasn't in the sales department when I started working here. She HAD BEEN WORKING in accounting for over five years but wanted a change.
10. You got to the airport too late! The plane HAD ALREADY ARRIVED and the twins WERE WAITING for you! How embarrassing!