Past Tense Worksheet
You have to fill each space with either the past continuous, past perfect simple or past perfect continuous.
1. I was exhausted at the end of the exam. I __________ (write) for over two hours.
2. When thieves stole my favourite leather jacket, I was really upset. I __________ (have) it for over ten years.
3. Please step out of the car, Mr. Jones. Do you realise you __________ (drive) at over 90mph?
4. We didn't really want to go and see the musical again. We __________ (already see) it twice - so we said "no" and we went to a restaurant instead!
5. I arrived over an hour late to the office and everyone __________ (work). Actually, they __________ (work) for over two hours on the new project and I felt really guilty.
6. The kitchen was full of steam when we arrived. Joan was in the kitchen and she __________ (cook) a huge meal for everyone at the party.
7. It was a bit embarrassing to arrive at their house and find Mary looking so sad. I think she __________ (cry) before we got there.
8. No-one even noticed when I got home. They __________ (all watch) the big game on TV and obviously the dog __________ (bark) for over an hour. I was furious.
9. Sue wasn't in the sales department when I started working here. She __________ (work) in accounting for over five years but wanted a change.
10. You got to the airport too late! The plane __________ (already arrive) and the twins __________ (wait) for you! How embarrassing!