Intermediate Level >> Grammar Structure >> Students have it drilled into them from the start of their English learning that they must use "do" and "does" and "did" to form their questions. Then they reach intermediate level and are boldly told that maybe it isn't exactly true! Here is a worksheet to soften the blow, lessen the shock somewhat! Included on this page is a quick review of the difference between the two types of question.
Subject and Object Questions
Now write questions using the following prompts. You should ask a question about the word in bold type:
1. Which newspaper did you buy?
2. What happened during the storm?
3. Which student didn't do the exam? - note we use "didn't" in negative subject questions.
4. Who/Which teacher did you write a romantic letter to?
5. What disturbed you while you were working?
6. Which animal did you dream about?
7. Who rang you at 3am last week?
8. What documentary did you see on Sunday?
9. Who gave you a watch for your birthday?
10. Which old work colleague did you see at the theatre?