Past Simple or Past Continuous Worksheet
Fill each gap with a verb in either the past simple or past continuous tense.
1. Helen __WAS DOING__ (do) her weekly shopping when she __MET__ (meet) her old friend, June.
2. The sun __WAS SHINING__ (shine) when I __GOT__ (get) up this morning. I __FELT__ (feel) so tired!
3. Jim __WAS WAITING__ (wait) at one airport while Max __WAS WAITING__ (wait) at the other. What a disaster!
4. It __WAS RAINING__ (rain) very hard, so the referee __DECIDED__ (decide) not to play the match.
5. When the police __ARRIVED__ (arrive) at the party, the music __WAS PLAYING__ (play) very loud and everybody __WAS SHOUTING__ (shout).
6. The mail __ARRIVED__ (arrive) very late today. It __CAME__ (come) after eleven o'clock.
7. Joan __BECAME__ (become) very angry this morning. She __WAS SPEAKING__ (speak) to an important client and someone __ENTERED__ (enter) the room without knocking.
8. Hank __WAS COOKING__ (cook) in the kitchen. His sister __OFFERED__ (offer) to help but Hank __REFUSED__ (refuse).