Past Simple or Present Perfect?
Choose the correct form of the verbs in brackets to complete these sentences.
1. 'This is my house.' 'How long you (live) here?' 'I (live) here since 1997.'
2. He (live) in London for two years and then he (go) to Edinburgh.
3. When I (leave) school, I (cut) my hair and (wear) it short ever since.
4. Shakespeare (write) a lot of plays.
5. My brother (write) several plays. He has just finished his latest.
6. I (not see) him for three years. I wonder where he is.
7. He (not smoke) for two weeks. He is trying to give it up.
8. Chopin (compose) some of his music in Majorca.
9. 'When he (arrive)?' 'He (arrive) at 2 o'clock.'
10. I (read) his books when I was at school. I (enjoy) them very much.
11. I can't go out because I (not finish) my work yet.
12. 'I never (drink) whiskey.' 'Well, have some now!'
13. Here are your shoes. I just (clean) them.
14. I (leave) home at 8.00a.m. and (get) here at 12.00p.m.
15. I (meet) him last June.
16. You (see) the moon last night?
17. The actors (arrive) yesterday and (start) practising early this morning.
18. Cervantes (write) Don Quixote.
19. He (break) his leg in a skiing accident last year.
20. You (be) here before?
Yes, I (spend) my holidays here last year.
You (have) a good time?
No, it never (stop) raining.