Discourse Markers Worksheet
Choose words from the box to fill in the spaces in the exercise below.
on the other hand
1. I had a terrible day at work and lost my umbrella too. AT LEAST I spoke that nice guy who works in the coffee shop at last!
2. Television turns people into lazy couch potatoes. ON THE OTHER HAND, there are some educational programmes on.
3. FIRSTLY, I would like to welcome you all to the conference today.
4. THOUGH the film was a little boring, we still had a nice evening out.
5. I've always known Caroline as a mean person. HOWEVER, she lent me $10 yesterday without having to ask twice!
6. I got up at 9 o'clock yesterday and had a cold shower. THEN, I had breakfast and left for work.
7. My brother works in a large office WHEREAS I work on my own at home.
8. Why don't you think I would want to go out tonight? ACTUALLY, I would be delighted to get out of the house.
9. You should go to university as it gives you a chance to meet so many new people. MOREOVER, it gives you the chance to get important qualifications and get a better job.
10. I don't want to go to the football game. Football bores me and I don't want to pay $40 for a ticket. BESIDES, look at the weather! All that rain!