TOEFL >> Reading >> In the reading part of the TOEFL exam, Passages require understanding of rhetorical functions such as cause-effect, compare-contrast and argumentation. Students answer questions about main ideas, details, inferences, essential information, sentence insertion, vocabulary, rhetorical purpose and overall ideas.
TOEFL Reading - Worksheet 26
- Arthur Ashe
- Nastase was out of control and he cancelled the game
- pride and confidence in oneself
- Ashe became a professional tennis player in 1968
- A deep concern for other people
- Ashe discovered that he had the virus that causes AIDS in 1988
- a group of people organised for a joint purpose
- to achieve something and have personal success
- Arthur Ashe bravely fought a battle against ill health at a relatively young age. He was also a successful sportsman in his field and was known for his courage and honesty. However the biggest battle in his life was against racism which he had encountered from a young age.