TOEFL >> Reading >> In the reading part of the TOEFL exam, Passages require understanding of rhetorical functions such as cause-effect, compare-contrast and argumentation. Students answer questions about main ideas, details, inferences, essential information, sentence insertion, vocabulary, rhetorical purpose and overall ideas.
TOEFL Reading - Worksheet 15
Read the passage and choose the best answer to each question.
1. What are the two paragraphs about?
- the Mediterranean climate
- the Black Sea's climate
- Georgia's climate
2. How are climatic zones in Georgia determined?
- subtropical influences
- distance from the Black Sea and altitude
- the Greater Caucasus range
3. What are the climatic features along the Black Sea coast?
- cold air and heavy precipitation
- palm trees and high humidity
- high humidity and heavy precipitation
4. In the first paragraph, what does the word "range" mean?
- a desert
- a plateau
- a line of mountains
5. In the first paragraph, what does the word "barrier" mean?
- a conduit
- a block or obstacle
- a road
6. Is the air from the Black Sea warm and dry?
7. Do palm trees grow in Georgia?
8. How much precipitation does Batumi receive each year?
- 1,000 millimeters
- 2,000 millimeters
- 2,500 millimeters
The Climate Of Georgia
Georgia's climate is affected by subtropical influences from the west and mediterranean influences from the east. The Greater Caucasus range moderates local climate by serving as a barrier against cold air from the north. Warm, moist air from the Black Sea moves easily into the coastal lowlands from the west. Climatic zones are determined by distance from the Black Sea and by altitude.
Along the Black Sea coast, from Abkhazia to the Turkish border, and in the region known as the Kolkhida Lowlands inland from the coast, the dominant subtropical climate features high humidity and heavy precipitation (1,000 to 2,000 millimeters per year; the Black Sea port of Batumi receives 2,500 millimeters per year). Several varieties of palm trees grow in these regions, where the midwinter average temperature is 5° C and the midsummer average is 22° C.