C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 9
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. There are many issues to be considered when thinking about Shakespeare's work, _____________ least the identity of the writer himself!
2. The lecture, which was _____________ given by a visiting professor, dragged on endlessly and the students began to creep out the back door.
3. I waited in line outside the computer store for three hours. When the door opened, armed _____________ my credit card, I headed for the new laptops!
4. In the past, most homes had a _____________ television set. Nowadays, it's not unusual to find a TV in each bedroom.
5. Wilson read the documents and realized he'd _____________ deceived all along. He called the police.
6. Why is it that some simplistic modern paintings have found success and _____________ have not?
7. In this desert, remote _____________ man and his civilization, the fox makes his home.
8. You arrived home at 2am and not _____________ did you think of calling me to tell me where you were!