C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 8. Answer Sheet
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. Go left for about three hundred meters and you'll get to a small hill, at the top of __WHICH__ you'll find the lighthouse. You can't miss it!
2. Our first task __WAS__ to discover the cause of the accident and we now believe we've done that.
3. Gemima had so large __A__ piece of cake that she felt sick for the rest of the day.
4. Smiling, Ted left the room and went to bed. He'd won the game with dazzling skill and a great strategy. __OR__, maybe, he'd just been cheating!
5. Rescuers found no trace of the missing man, but __AT__ the mouth of a cave, his baseball cap was discovered.
6. Doug, having often found __HIMSELF__ in the right place at the right time, rose fast in the company.
7. While the north of the country is generally warm, the south __TENDS__ to be cold, particularly in February.
8. At the end-of-year dinner, the employee of the year was presented __WITH__ a new computer.