C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 7
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. _____________ the months pass, the temperatures drop and eventually, the male and female birds take off and head south.
2. The bookstore, after a long history of poor sales, is doing well. Thanks to a new advertising campaign, never before _____________ so many customers bought books there.
3. "You're no _____________ a charitable person than I am!" Casey shouted at her former best friend. "You're just selfish!"
4. _____________ of the precise make of computer you choose, it must be capable of connecting to the internet.
5. Clark used to be an active person. _____________ days, with bad arthritis, he's almost house bound.
6. In the garden lay John's carpet, more dirt than blue, _____________ he'd thrown away in a fit of anger the previous evening.
7. Ken's easy going nature and generosity _____________ it very easy for people to like him. He was immensely popular.
8. The whole family, with the notable _____________ of the youngest son, arrived for the reunion at the Italian restaurant.