C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 6. Answer Sheet
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. Don't move that bit of wood, John. It's acting __AS__ a barrier to the water that will come down there.
2. Aunt Anna is very close to me, almost __LIKE__ an elder sister to me.
3. Police visited the address late last night and __TOOK__ possession of the new car whose ownership is disputed.
4. I don't understand what you're saying. Maybe I'm confused, but I don't get it. I don't get it at __ALL__.
5. His personal assistant was held in very high regard, not so __MUCH__ for the work she did, but for her happy attitude that brightened up the office.
6. I don't like this jazz music, mom. Put on __SOMETHING__ different.
7. When I think of Easter, my mind conjures __UP__ images of a large chocolate rabbit that my dog, Scotty, ate on Easter Sunday many years ago.
8. After today's rail crash, the local police said they would help with the investigation into __WHAT__ happened.