C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 5. Answer Sheet
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. Your exams are only two weeks away children! With this __IN__ mind, I have decided we can do a practice test today.
2. The Earth could be faced __WITH__ serious climate problems unless governments worldwide take strong action.
3. I don't mind the cold so much, but in damp weather, I am prone __TO__ suffer painful joints, especially the wrists.
4. As the weather deteriorated, the mountain ranger stated that boys had __LITTLE/NO__ chance of survival overnight.
5. The two parents stood silently in the departure lounge. "Come on Meg, let's go home. If you wait here looking sad long __ENOUGH__, you'll see them return from their vacation!"
6. You have been looking so tired recently. I think you have taken __ON__ too much responsibility at your job.
7. We must face __UP__ to the fact that this school is failing the local community.