C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Open Cloze. Worksheet 3
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. Is this type of bed different from what you are used _____________? I hope it won't be a problem.
2. Do you find it any sort of surprise that he acted _____________ such horror to what you said? I am only surprised he didn't fire you on the spot!
3. Even if I squint, I just can't make _____________ what is supposed to be written on this coin.
4. _____________ the workers feel angry I can understand perfectly well. _____________ I can't understand is how they resort to violence.
5. You just keep on eating those cookies! Then you'll be _____________ to eat your dinner and your mother will be rightly furious with you.
6. There were thick, dark woods all _____________ the house and the family often felt as if they were on a boat in an ocean of trees.
7. I expected it just to be youngsters at the disco but there were people of _____________ ages there.