C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 25
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. We _____________ have left the keys in the car, they're nowhere to be found in the house.
2. In such a challenging situation, it's important to keep our wits _____________ us.
3. We only get to spend at _____________ two hours a week together due to our busy schedules.
4. The rumour that I am leaving the company could not be _____________ from the truth.
5. The manager must pay attention to _____________ and every part of the factory to ensure efficiency.
6. I gathered every resource that I could lay my _____________ on to help me with the project.
7. Despite _____________ sharp teeth and staring eyes, there's a lot to like about sharks.
8. Upon _____________, Kate and Charles instantly felt a strong connection.