C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 24
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. The new taxation policies came _____________ for a lot of criticism from small businesses.
2. He kept repeating the same phrase over and _____________ as if it were a mantra.
3. There is no shadow of _____________ that he is the best candidate for the job.
4. The task is so challenging that very _____________ people can complete it successfully.
5. I'll never get _____________ to the constant noise in this city, even at night.
6. Family traditions have been passed down _____________ the generations, preserving our rich heritage.
7. Why is it that certain minimalist designs are celebrated and _____________ are overlooked?
8. As a global music sensation, she sold records the world _____________, from America to Australia.