C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 23
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. When the referee made the controversial decision near the end of the match, he was met with a stream of _____________ from the crowd.
2. First you take flour, water, oil and yeast and combine them _____________ a firm dough.
3. She decided to bring her dog along _____________ many other items to the picnic.
4. Humanity could be faced _____________ severe resource shortage if the overconsumption trend continues.
5. She had a knack for picking _____________ on subtle details that others often overlooked.
6. He is an expert in his field, and _____________ such, we can see the value of his insights.
7. It's such events as _____________ which underline the need for more safety measures.
8. The coach _____________ it clear that he would not tolerate any form of unsportsmanlike conduct.