C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 22
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. Many individuals are shifting to remote work as _____________ believe it enhances their work-life balance.
2. The new professor will _____________ required to publish research papers regularly.
3. Mary was found sleeping in the office and yet she hadn't been at work that day, which _____________ itself seems suspicious.
4. As the storm got stronger, the sailor realised he had _____________ chance of reaching the shore safely.
5. Nowadays, we don't rely _____________ public transportation as much due to ride-sharing apps.
6. The park has a designated area _____________ birds can nest safely.
7. Your order has been dispatched and is on its _____________ to you now.
8. He was suddenly struck _____________ by a mystery illness, leaving his family worried.