C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 21
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. She quickly ran _____________ of patience dealing with the rude customer.
2. I couldn't help but marvel _____________ the beautiful architecture of the ancient city.
3. I understand your department manager told you that the company is in financial trouble. This, _____________, is not true. Please disregard what he said.
4. _____________ the face of such hardship, she never gave up and continued to fight.
5. There was a famous painter, _____________ career was widely celebrated in the early 20th century, who was totally blind.
6. As a novice in this field, much _____________ I have to learn!
7. Life is full of surprises, and we never know what lies _____________ the next corner.
8. Before they began to cut down the neighbour's tree, the three friends made sure the coast was _____________.