C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 20
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. Much of _____________ we find in these old manuscripts remains a mystery to historians.
2. They made the decision to sell their home out _____________ desperation, having no other options.
3. If the book isn't engaging from the start, it's not _____________ reading all the way through.
4. In these mountains, isolated _____________ human activities, the rare snow leopard resides.
5. Despite his injury he decided, against all the _____________, to continue playing.
6. There are no quick fixes, unfortunately. _____________ that, I mean to say that the situation is more complex than it seems.
7. There were several members in the committee, almost all of _____________ were industry experts.
8. Jane has a good working _____________ of Spanish, which helps her in her role as a diplomat.