C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Open Cloze. Worksheet 2.
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. The suspect _____________ have been at home until at least 9pm last night. We have proof of at least two phone calls made from the house yesterday evening. Then we have no trace of him.
2. If you are driving in the mountains, exercise great caution. In the _____________ of snow, fix chains to your tyres.
3. The Japanese are often thought _____________ as being hard working and good at teamwork.
4. Why are you looking for your mobile telephone there? In _____________ probability, you've left it at work!
5. No sooner did the restaurant open its doors _____________ the fire alarm went off.
6. Only when I sent them the original invoice _____________ they send me a refund.
7. Although I feel confident about the coming year, I do feel very wary _____________ over confidence.