C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 19
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. We don't have a set plan for the day, so let's _____________ it by ear and see what happens.
2. Through the generous donations and tireless work of volunteers, all of this was _____________ possible.
3. Even if I look closely, I can't make _____________ the details in this old photograph.
4. By using this new method, we can reduce waste by as _____________ as a half.
5. It has _____________ to light that there was a major error in the financial report.
6. The views expressed in this article are entirely my _____________ and do not reflect the opinion of my employer.
7. Children should always be thought _____________ as individuals with their own unique needs and aspirations.
8. The technique is derived _____________ the way traditional artisans worked leather.