C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 17
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. An original Picasso painting, regardless of _____________ it's a popular piece or not, is incredibly valuable.
2. With the exception _____________ Lily, everyone is attending the rehearsal tonight.
3. It was such _____________ heavy box that we needed two people to lift it.
4. The revolution _____________ rise to many new political ideologies and movements.
5. My supervisor seems to have a bias _____________ me, which makes it hard for me to do well there.
6. The movie was so thrilling, it kept me _____________ the edge of my seat.
7. His nervous mannerisms made everyone else feel ill at _____________ during the dinner.
8. Why are you looking for your glasses in the kitchen? In _____________ likelihood, you've left them in the living room!