C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 15
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. No sooner had she announced her resignation _____________ the company started looking for her replacement.
2. There had been several obstacles to the project's completion, all of _____________ made the success even more satisfying.
3. This broken chair is serving _____________ a useful stand for my potted plants.
4. That's rather _____________ interesting story you've shared with us today.
5. He works in a high-pressure job that often keeps him _____________ his toes.
6. I used to do a lot of late-night studying when I was at university. _____________ days, I prefer early mornings!
7. Even though the journey is risky, I'll _____________ my chances and proceed.
8. "You're no _____________ an expert in this field than I am!" Jenny shouted at her colleague.