C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 14
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. Tomorrow will be hot and looking further _____________, the sunshine should continue.
2. Hardly had my mother left the shop _____________ she was asked to go back inside.
3. It's of _____________ utmost importance that you listen to what I'm about to tell you.
4. When we leave the dog alone, we like giving it something to chew _____________.
5. With the exception _____________ Daniel, everyone will be coming into work tomorrow.
6. Philip Mouriet, all of _____________ most famous works were in the cinema, also wrote four novels.
7. Can you make _____________ whose signature that is?
8. There are _____________ the region of two hundred countries in the world.