C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 13
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. Open a window. It's hot _____________ in here to melt a candle.
2. Despite _____________ somewhat damaged reputation, lawyers still play a crucial role.
3. I used to work so hard. _____________ days, I take things easier and feel better for it.
4. I know a local farmer who _____________ me supplied with fresh eggs every week.
5. It's sad to read about famous Hollywood names who end _____________ being penniless when they get older.
6. After all your travels, you must _____________ seen so many amazing sights.
7. My teacher said she's amazed at the lengths people go _____________ to avoid doing homework.
8. I don't know what they decided to do because I wasn't party _____________ negotiations.