C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 12
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. Carl spent so much on that computer and it's _____________ or no use at all.
2. I'm just a simple worker _____________ my best to earn a decent living.
3. It was so big _____________ pizza that we didn't even finish half of it.
4. There were too many people competing _____________ too small a space.
5. Along _____________ Paris, Berlin is my favourite European city.
6. The southern states of the USA _____________ to be hot and humid in the summer.
7. I don't like that restaurant. _____________ is more, it's the costliest in the city!
8. My manager pretty _____________ told me I would be fired tomorrow.