C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 10. Answer Sheet
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. "__NO__ doubt you're wondering where I got all that extra money from," Jason said with a glint in his eye.
2. The shopping mall owners are furious at the ease __WITH__ which the thieves entered the building.
3. I couldn't understand why my boss was talking about Hannah. What did she have to __DO__ with anything? We didn't even work together.
4. Crystal skulls are very beautiful objects and, __SOME/MANY__ say, possess great powers.
5. I know your father told you that I never liked you as a child. This, __THOUGH/HOWEVER__, was a lie. You must know the truth!
6. The stricken company needs to lay off up to one thousand workers, sell some of its more valuable property and __WILL__ find financial safety only by securing further bank loans.
7. I visited the embassy and asked to speak to the person in __CHARGE__ of registering marriages and deaths.
8. The new headquarters of the bank, __ITS__ facade facing the mighty river, will open next June and over a thousand employees will work inside.