C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is open cloze, in which students must use only one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, relative pronouns, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 1. Answer Sheet
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. She lived __OFF__ the money inherited from an aunt.
2. The man wasn't very trustworthy. On the __CONTRARY__, he had been caught stealing twice from his boss.
3. They spoke to their mother who __MADE__ it clear she wasn't happy with their recent behaviour.
4. If you want the painting, you will have to offer a __GREAT__ deal more money than $4000. We have __NO__ lack of other offers so don't need to accept yours.
5. You will need to go to the McCarthy Brothers Farm Supply Store or Mac's Store, __AS__ it is known in this area, on 16th Street. They have a sale on at the moment with __UP__ to 50% off everything.
6. It has __COME__ to light that you falsified your examination certificates. What have you got to say __FOR__ yourself?
7. In __ADDITION__ to your normal duties, you will also __BE__ expected to train new arrivals.