C2 Proficiency (CPE) >> Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheets >> The first part of the 'Reading and Use of English' paper in the C2 Proficiency Examination is multiple choice cloze where students have to choose the correct word from four similar given words.
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Multiple Choice Cloze Worksheet 9
This exercise type tests use of idioms, collocations, phrasal verbs and semantic precision in general. For each question below, choose the best answer from the four possibilities. Think also about why the other three choices are NOT possible.
1. Not many people have the _____________ to combine both a highly successful business career and a happy marriage.
2. If you are not happy with this resort hotel, you will have to make a(n) _____________ for compensation once you return home.
3. Two months after the main parties in the coalition had fallen out, leading to the collapse of the government, the leaders met in an attempt to heal the _____________.
4. The bomb explosion left very little of the car and forensic scientists are now busy _____________ through the wreckage trying to find clues to help them in their investigation.
5. As soon as the authorities found out about the jail break, they put up _____________ on all the main roads leading out of the area.
6. Now I am unemployed, I have too much time _____________ and don't know what to do with myself!
a. to hand
b. on my hands
c. in hand
d. in my hands
7. The judge gave out what was widely considered to be a _____________ sentence due to the convicted man's deep remorse at his crime.
8. The law banning handguns and other _____________ arms was passed by the parliament without delay.
9. The police caught him as he was running away from the blazing house and he was charged the following day with _____________. His plan was to collect on his house insurance.
10. "Do you want any of these company lottery tickets, Barry?" "Oh, yes. Put me _____________ for three. I will get a couple for my wife too."